Welcoming a new furry friend to your family can be an overwhelming decision to make. When you have children, that decision becomes even more important. Family pets can teach your children so much about responsibility and caring. You want to find a dog that will be the perfect fit for your whole family, since they will be with you for a long time.
There are a few things you will need to consider before deciding on a new pup. Your ideal dog breed may differ based on your family’s lifestyle, the age of your children, and the size of your living space.
To find a dog that is a good fit for your children, you will want to look for a breed that is naturally friendly and intelligent. Especially with younger children, it is important to find a patient and resilient dog, as children do not always know to be gentle. You will also need to find a dog breed whose activity level matches that of your family. That being said, the ideal dog breed will be energetic enough to keep up with your kids without getting tired or irritated. Though breed is not everything, some breeds naturally do better with children than others. Each dog has their own unique personality and you will need to do some searching around before you find your perfect dog.
Here are the top ten best dog breeds for families:
1. Labrador Retriever- The labrador retriever is probably the first dog you imagined when you thought of the best dog breed for families. These dogs are very friendly and outgoing. A lab would be ideal for a highly active family with the time and space to train them.
2. Beagle- These small to mid size dogs are extremely friendly and extremely energetic. Beagles make great companions as they generally form strong bonds with their families. Though they can be stubborn, especially when it comes to training, these active pups make great family dogs.
3. Pit Bull Terrier- Pit bulls have a bad reputation in public opinion, but few people know they were originally bred to be nanny dogs. They are friendly, affectionate, and incredibly receptive to training.
4. Collie- These pups were bred for herding so they have lots of energy and do best in an active home. Collies are a highly devoted (you remember Lassie) and very graceful. This makes these pups a great choice for a family dog.
5. Pug- Charming and affectionate, these little guys are great family pets. They are generally very even-tempered and would happily put up with being poked and prodded by a young child.
6. Bulldog- Bulldogs are an incredibly calm and friendly breed. They create strong bonds with their families and would happily defend them from any danger that may come their way.
7. Cavalier Spaniel- These cuddly little pups make great family pets, especially for families with younger kids. The Cavalier Spaniel is an easy to train lap dog with a gentle personality and love of belly rubs.
8. Bernese Mountain Dog- The Bernese Mountain Dog is truly a gentle giant. These dogs have a very calm demeanor and are easy to train. Because of their large size, these dogs would be happier in a large, open environment.
9. French Bulldog- Don’t let their small size fool you, frenchies are very high energy and very playful. They are also highly intelligent. These pups are perfect for a family in a crowded, urban environment.
10. Boston Terrier- The small and affectionate Boston Terrier is a great choice for family dog. Their high intelligence makes them easy to train and their high energy means your child will never be bored.
Please keep in mind that it is always a good idea to adopt before you shop. You can head down to your local animal shelter with the whole family. That way your children will feel involved in the process and you can see how each dog reacts to you and your family. With proper training, a healthy and safe environment, and lots of attention, any dog can become your perfect family dog.